Tuesday, May 19, 2009

art is art, is art?

To show our admiration and astonishment,
we applaud at performances, concerts, and movies.

A breathtaking performance won't take more than 10 seconds before standing up and start clapping your hands. Of course, the performers/movies spent 2-4 hrs to amuse the audience. The gratification stays with you probably until you go to bed and dream about it. Some amazing performances are surely to leave some marks and influences, for sure.


look at Heath Ledger clapping, ever so happily :D


On the visual arts side, it's not that simple.
How many occasions have I ever clapped before an art?
Now that I think about it, I don't recall putting my hands together for a wall piece.
Why?

Are we simply accustomed to not applaud for non-performing arts?
Are people afraid their alienated actions might raise some eyebrows? be frowned upon?

Perhaps it is not so appropriate to cause loud clapping noise in a gallery,
so from today, I will clap quietly in my head, admiring the beauty that stand before me.



Close Distance, York Quay Gallery, Harbourfront Centre


The thing about arts nowadays is that the grand public is not interested in something different, something unusual, something unique. Is the mass media manipulating our minds into liking only what is familiar? What happen to all the adventures and curiosities?

One thing that I cannot tolerate is thoughtless comments about art.
Saying, "So.. What is this?" is one thing. I can take time to explain it to you, if you'd actually listen.
But... rudely blurting out, "Oh, I could have done that!" is just not acceptable.
First of all, why didn't you? If you claim it is simple enough for you to do, why are you not part of the creative force? huh?

Even though the works exhibited are not mine,during the exhibition, I am the person who is representing the art, so it is difficult not to take it personally when someone attacks with apathetic and disrespectful comments.
When will people ever behave? I don't even dare ask to understand, because for most of the part, I don't understand many things myself.



Close Distance, York Quay Gallery, Harbourfront Centre


But I'd sincerely hope that visitors will take time to read the labels, for it is displayed there for a reason. Since I have participated in making the appropriate labels, I now know how much effort was put in for couple of paragraphs pasted on the wall. It completely satisfies me to see people actually reading the labels. Any feedback is welcome. I've started writing a label designed especially for kids since last September, and it's a project in progress. I am learning to write, interpret, and adjust. I've had great comments which enlivened me.

So, my small hope continues......
If you cannot understand, don't start arguing.
Just try to enjoy it, and take advantage of what is before you.

No comments: