Tuesday, December 15, 2009

my obsession - historical fiction part1

I don't know what it is but I just can't help watching them over and over.
I've heard some people say that they were born in wrong time,
saying they belong back in whatever era....
well.. this is not really the case with me.
but still, I love looking at all the gorgeous dresses that I will never be able to wear regularly.
For that, I envy you people from the past....
but to go back in time and miss all the technology advantages? I don't think so~



Vanity Fair, 2004.

I wasn't into the story much and the screenplay wasn't as good as the novel.
plus, I think Reese is too bubbly to be Becky Sharp...
probably from watching too much Legally Blonde.... yikes...
Jonathan Rhys Meyer's in this too. He's better being the king. lol



Elizabeth
, 1998.


Elizabeth: The Golden Age
, 2007.

I loved both of the movies, Blanchett is awesome.
I was so happy to hear that the sequel came out almost ten years later.
This is probably my fave Elizabeth movie.


The Other Boleyn Girl
, 2008.

I was kind of disappointed with this one.
Mainly knowing two of my fave actresses are starred in one movie,
I probably expected a lot lot lot more.
Loved the cast, both ladies are so gorgeous.
It was interesting to see the affair in action? lol....
to think this sort of things happened way back then......
kind of makes me wonder.... no matter what and where, people are gonna cheat!
arg!



Marie Antoinette, 2006.

lavish costume play. weird ending.
I love love love love love Coppola's The Virgin Suicides and was very excited to hear Dunst is playing Marie Antoinette. but...........
it viewed more like a music video to me... watching pretty Kirsten in pretty dresses. yay!



The Duchess, 2008.

This was kind of like The Other Boleyn Girl.
I really liked the sceneries more though. gorgeous landscapes!!


Girl with a Pearl Earring, 2003.

Oh so pretty Scralett. I love this painting and she really pulled it off!
amazing!! Colin Firth as Vermeer was kind of surprising at first, didn't really seem the type.
It's one thing to picture an artist from way back based on portraits but to see someone play that role, kind of weird.....
just like Ed Harris as Jackson Pollock and Robert Pattinson as Salvador DalĂ­ (I have yet to see this one).
really? Robert Pattinson? lol.. all I can think of his way-too-much pale cakey makeup from Twilight.


Shakespeare in Love
, 1998.

This one and Elizabeth came out around same time and seemed Shakespeare in Love got most of the glory then. It was hooray for Joseph Fiennes though, he was in both movies.
an interesting approach about an interesting man...
I've actually read somewhere that some or all of Shakespeare's plays were gibberish,
since he didn't even go to school to learn to write, thus it is not high literature as is prised today.
Whether it is true or not, I still love his plays, minus Macbeth. I just never really grew fond of that one. scary......


The Tudors
, 2007-current. TV series.

I haven't seen this one yet and I am dying to.
I actually downloaded the first season but my laptop got stolen....
so...... DAMN...
maybe I'll just rent the DVD later, become a hermit and watch the entire series.
one more season left!!

1 comment:

C^2 said...

let's watch the tudors together~