Saturday, December 19, 2009

ramen spork


image from MoMA Store


I found an amazing utensil today(Dec13,09) at BOUNTY when I was shopping for a gift for Secret Santa this year. I am greatly happy :-D
by the time this post is published, it will be secret santa time! I love scheduling ability of posts!

A SPORK/FOON! for RAMEN!
This is awesome!! truly awesome... BRILLIANT!
I think I am going to buy one for myself, unless my gift was unfortunate (or is it?) and did not get selected so I can keep it. lol. But who can say NO to such a creative invention?


image from here

Ramen Fork was invented by Sugakiya, a Ramen restaurant in Nagoya Japan, aimed to eat the noodle and soup at the same time. This artistic shape was highly admired by The Museum of Modern Art in New York (MoMA) and was introduced to their museum gift shop. The museum says that it is making within the top 3 sales. It is 14 dollars for a piece.

Sugakiya started introducing Ramen Fork since 1978. It was good for the environment as well as cost reduction, but many customers preferred the wooden chopsticks. For their 60-year anniversary, Sugakiya decided to completely renew it to a easy-to-use design. They asked Masami Takahashi for the new design and Sugakiya's CEO Shinichi Sugaki gave him only one request which was to create a sophisticated design that MoMA would exhibit it. It took an year for Mr. Takahashi to reach the final design. The difference from the previous design is the number of tynes and where they are placed.

When Sugakiya hold a press conference for the newly designed Ramen Folk, by chance MoMA were in Japan and happened to see it on TV. This is how Mr. Sugaki's dream came true.

article from here


KUDOS to Masami Takahashi!


@ MoMA Store and @ BOUNTY (in Toronto)

No comments: